- Mon-Sat 8AM - 8PM
N-159, Model Town
125005 | Gurgaon
- Send your query
What is Herniated Disc Surgery or Slip Disc Surgery in India?
Slip disc is also known as “herniated disc”. Our spine has bones that are called vertebrae. Between each vertebra, there are protective shock-absorbing pads. These pads are known as discs. Each disc has two parts. The outer part is a tough ring, and the inner part contains the soft gelatinous substance. Due to aging, or an injury, the inner gel may come out and cause protrusion in the outer ring. This condition is slipped disc surgery or herniated disc surgery or prolapsed disc.
Being one of the most common reasons for back ache, slip disc problem mostly occurs in people aging between 30 to 50 years old. The best doctor for slip disc in India estimates that one in twenty people with backache have slipped disc, and around 10 percent of them have to go through Slipped Disc surgery. This is a spinal disorder where the cushioning rubbery disc between spinal bones is damaged. This disc is the shock protector for the bones as it absorbs shocks and jerks the bones face in our routine activities like bending, walking, lifting and twisting. The cushioning disc has two parts: the inner gelatinous soft core and the tough outer ring. Herniated Disc or slipped disc arises when this gelatinous softcore protrudes through the outer ring. This happens when the outer ring is either injured or weak.
Find the Best doctor for slip disc surgery in indiaschedule a visit
Causes of Herniated Disc Surgery or Slip Disc Surgery in India:
- Wear and tear
- Random movements like twisting and turning
- Lifting heavy weights
- Poor lifestyle
Symptoms of Herniated Disc Surgery or Slip Disc Surgery in India:
- As per the best doctor for slip disc in india, Dr Vijay Gupta, the symptoms depend whether the location of disc herniation is in the low back, mid back or neck. Slip disc surgery causes debilitating pain and discomfort in movement because it tends to compress the spinal nerve in the affected area along with numbness or weakness of surrounding organs, arms or legs. Referred pain is also experienced along the course of that nerve.
- When the damage is in the neck a person may experience pain around the neck area and numbness, tingling, weakness, or pain in the shoulder, neck, arm, or hand. These symptoms would seem to intensify with increased motion of neck.
- If the lower back disc is affected, a person may experience pain originating from buttocks and moving down the back of each leg to the knee or below. Numbness, tingling or weakness in the buttocks, anus or genitals, back, legs, or feet or all of these organs can be felt. These symptoms are similar to Sciatica - slip disc treatment in India.
- The patient will also feel a sharp pain that might rise with movement, straining or coughing. There would be a certain difficulty in controlling bowel movements or bladder function.
Find the Best doctor for slip disc Treatment in indiaschedule a visit
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is an indication to see a slipped Disc Doctor immediately.
The doctor for the slip disc will perform a thorough physical examination followed by neurological examination. This includes complete check-up of spine, never function testing, abdominal examination and screening. The Spine doctor may try to understand the history and ask for information on prior spine problems, lifestyle, any past injuries, duration of pain and existing symptoms. Specialised imaging study is done after a few weeks of initial treatment and if it fails to give the desired relief. This includes magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or myelogram. A contrast dye is injected in the spinal column and then traced to diagnose a deformed disk and the intensity of damages to specific nerves. Sufficient rest or limited activity and anti-inflammatory medications form the first level treatment. Spine Doctors will ask to restrict activities like lifting, bending, and straining for a short period. Another therapeutic remedy would be to treat the injured area with ice packs initially and later switch to hot packs. After the first few weeks, if the body responds positively to the treatment of the slip disc, the doctor may recommend physical therapy, exercise and massage. If these measures do not work, surgical repair can be considered.
Find the Best doctor for Herniated disc surgery in indiaschedule a visit
Keyhole surgery: The advancement in the medical field and its technologies have given birth to keyhole surgery. The other name for keyhole surgery is ‘minimally invasive spine surgery’. The slit is made by the surgeon to access the affected areas of the spine (Slip Disc Treatment in India). Traditionally, large incisions were made in the back surgery. This is a breakthrough in minimal invasive surgery. The term ‘keyhole’ itself explains the size of the incision cut in the back. Keyhole surgery is performed through a cut just as big as a needle puncture or less than 1 inch. In an open surgery, the surgeon makes an incision of at least 5 to 6 inches. Keyhole surgery is performed with an endoscope, a very high definition camera and exclusively designed surgical micro-tools and monitors for indirect viewing. The fragments of the prolapsed disc are slowly removed without any harm to the surrounding tissue. The patient is awake through the procedure and only local anaesthesia is administered. ‘Keyhole surgery’ is an advanced technique that has brought revolution in the field of spinal surgeries. The procedure is now widely performed in the best spine hospitals in India. As the name indicates, the term is used for a small size incision made in the spine during the surgery. Increasing number of people are found to be suffering from slip disc or herniated disc. This can be caused due to aging, accidental trauma or injury, or lifting weights and excessive strain.
Find the Best doctor for slip disc in indiaschedule a visit
Some of the best spine hospitals in Gurgaon have made India a popular choice in the whole world. The chief characteristics of this surgery are the following:
- The incision is even less than 1 inch. For this reason, the scarring is negligible.
- It is an outpatient procedure. That means the patient doesn’t have to stay overnight, at the hospital. You can get operated, and simply go home the same day.
- The muscle tissues involved in the surgery are pushed aside rather than disrupted. As a result, the healing is faster and less painful.
- The surgery does not take more than 60 minutes. The infection rate is lesser as compared to the traditional spinal surgeries, which made the body more vulnerable to infections.
- There are two types of minimally invasive surgeries available, depending upon the severity of damages caused in the spine.
- Due to such a fine incision, the recovery period is very short. The patients can resume their work-life within a few months. The patient satisfaction rate is very high too.
If you are suffering from spinal problems, there are many best spine hospitals in India to choose from. Earlier diagnosis of the problem makes the treatment easier and a lot smoother for everybody.
The success rate of this procedure is around 96% and there are many advantages for the patients.
Post-surgery: As the person comes out of local anaesthesia, there might be minimal pain and some discomfort, maybe for a couple of hours only. Keyhole surgery is a technological boon to the field of medical sciences. When conducted with precision, Slip disc surgery in India gives accurate outcomes and renders much shorter hospital time for the patient.
Find the Best doctor for slip disc Surgery in indiaschedule a visit
If you have been diagnosed with herniated disc surgery, it is recommended to visit the surgeon and get treatment at the earlier stage. With the best spine hospitals in India, it is now easier to get quality care with multiple options to choose from. An unnecessary delay may damage the nerves and an irreversible paralysis may happen.
The cost depends on the category of hospital, the location and the extent of pre-surgery procedures. Approximate cost of Keyhole surgery for slip disc in India amounts between Rs 1,00,000 to Rs 3,50,000.
Approximate cost of Keyhole surgery for herniated disc in India amounts between Rs 1,00,000 to Rs 3,50,000.
Taking the decision to undergo a spine surgery is very crucial and should be made on a well-informed basis. Talk to your doctor and understand about the methodology, recovery period and post-surgery care.